Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Sisters of Hope

When I was a little girl, I always dreamed of having a sister. Growing up, my next door neighbor was quite a bit older than me and I loved heading to my her house to hear her stories and to try to imitate her gymnastics. Over the years, I have been lucky to have great friends who became like sisters. Friends who I can share life with, dream with, and tell my deepest secrets to. Sister friends who are not just "fair weather" friends, but those who still love me and stick by me when I am cranky, make mistakes, or when I am not very lovable.

One of my hopes in raising my girls is that they will develop the type of relationships that I have had with some of my closest friends. Watching them grow together and share experiences has been precious. My hope is that some day when they are adults they will look back on their childhood and be grateful that they had each other to grow up with. I don't expect perfection...there is a fair share of normal squabbles and dysfunction...but I hope that they are creating bonds which will never be broken.

My first daughter, the one who made me a mother, is approaching 14 years old. Adopting her changed my life forever on so many levels. It began my calling to do more for orphans. While in Guangxi, I fell in love with the people there and cried when it was time to leave. Her adoption grew my resolve to go back as soon as possible to give back. Adopting her was the start of my family as it would become today. Adopting her brought me to our beloved church community and enabled some of the most powerful relationships for all of us. My first born is bright, athletic, and artistic. She has a huge heart for orphans. She loves music, basketball, and being with her friends. She taught me that parenting is joyous, hard, and one of the most growing experiences of my lifetime.

My second daughter is now 11 years old. I met her when she was just a year old on our first short term mission trip to work in Guangxi orphanages in 2005. Her adoption as a two year old with a congenital heart condition opened my eyes to adoption of special needs children. Her adoption gave my first born a sibling, and all of the joys and challenges that go along with that role. My second daughter is passionate, bright, highly verbal, loves all animals and is quickly becoming vegetarian. She has a special place in her heart for children with Down Syndrome. She loves school, gymnastics, and violin. She also dreams of finding her birth family and traveling back to China more frequently to see them.

My third daughter, my true middle child, is now 9 years old. She has beta thalassemia major requiring life saving blood transfusions every 21 days. She also has other needs consistent with Russell Silver Syndrome. She has been home for 4 years and has challenged my thoughts of what truly matters when considering my children as someday grown adults. The idea of loving God, being kind to others, and being a productive member of society is now my goal for ALL my girls. Being a productive member of society doesn't just mean going to university. Doing a trade skill or even doing volunteer work are also productive for society. This child is a friend to everyone and shows kindness to all. She loves learning about science, helping others, dancing, and singing.

My fourth daughter was the first of my surprise adoptions. Prior to her adoption, I had no intention of adopting again, and when I felt God prompting me I was really very nervous. Scared stiff. I honestly had no idea what was in store as I set back to China again for my fourth Guangxi girl. But God. Oh, how this little one waltzed into our lives and brought such joy! She is a great blend of energy, sassiness, and sweetness. She also has a form of thalassemia so shares treatments with her older sister. The bond they have is without words. She is now five and loves all things pony. She also loves China with all her heart and asks daily when we are heading back.


My littlest daughter, the fifth miracle girl, is only one year old. She has endured so much pain and struggle all alone as an orphan. It is still extraordinary that she is actually here as part of my family. Many days it still feels like a dream. Once considered "unadoptable", many miracles happened and she has outlived her initial prognosis. She is the bravest baby I know and has a smile which is contagious. She currently is awaiting liver transplant for treatment of her liver failure. She loves playing ball, snuggling, sweet potatoes, and making her sisters laugh.

My house is full. My heart is full. My girls have sisters and will always have each other for the ups and downs of life. It is amazingly fun watching them grow, and catching them in the moments where their love for each other is palpable. Life is precious. And often unexpected. And full of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment