Thursday, December 25, 2014

Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh

My baby girl is the first child ever with thalassemia to live from her orphanage. First.Child.Ever. All of the others with thalassemia did not survive. Not one survivor. Some of the children who did not survive I met personally. I held them in my arms. Knowing this, and how easily she could have been one to not survive is something I am mindful of each time I witness her radiant smile; each time I hear what a beautiful child she is; and each time she snuggles close to me and tells me "mama I love you so, so much". She is my miracle adoption, in so many ways. She is a living miracle.





Hannah Joy is the first, and a child named Ayla is the second. Ayla and Hannah Joy were at the orphanage at the same time. They were "orphanage sisters", who would go to transfusion days together. Ayla was very, very sick when the orphanage let me know about her. Her first photos were truly heartbreaking. Yet God, being in the business of miracles, transformed this precious child by giving her the love of a family whose mother has one of the biggest hearts of anyone I know. Her mother is a warrior mom who shows such grace as she works tirelessly to ensure that her beautiful child receives all that she needs. My hope and prayer is that someday our families can meet and these orphanage sisters can be reunited.

Today, the third child ever with thalassemia from this orphanage arrives home with her parents with her two sisters. Another miracle. When I first saw her photos, there was something that reminded me of Hannah Joy. Perhaps it was the twinkle in her eye, or her closed mouth smile. When her family learned about her, they raced at warp speed to try to bring her home. She would be a "pre-identified" adoption, something that is not for the faint of heart. Again, God, being in miracles, would ensure that her file was quickly transferred by one of the most ethical adoption agencies I know. This agency understands that the situation for children with thalassemia in Guangxi is dire, and would forego profit in order to ensure this child made it home alive.

Now there are three survivors. Three. Each a gift to each family. I am reminded of the three gifts given by the wise men who visited baby Jesus. Gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Gifts so treasured at the time, just like these three beloved baby girls. Girls who are actually treasured more than any object could ever be.

There are three more baby girls with thalassemia waiting from this orphanage. Waiting in the midst of a very critical blood shortage. Sweet girls we were able to meet and play with. One of them has been waiting a while, and appears very, very pale. My prayer is that she can survive the wait. That they all can survive the wait. Three more gifts, just waiting to join their families. I hope and pray that next year, just like this year, the world will know of three more sweet girls with thalassemia who are orphans no more. Three more survivors. Three more who beat the odds. Three more precious gifts.




No comments:

Post a Comment