Sunday, July 27, 2014

Grace and love

I have exceptional children. Exceptional friends. Exceptional family. Exceptional church family. An exceptional life. Never, would I have ever imagined a life like this. I know I have said it before, but it is truth. A life so full. Full of love, joy, laughter, and goodness.

This past week has been a blur. A much needed break after a very long year. It was a time I had prayed for, for months now, and God kindly answered. Me, in my weak human state, worried about this precious time somehow being thwarted, either by illness or by some other type of negative influence. I worried, rather than trusted. I had expectations of perfection rather than expectations of a joyous time which also included merciful provisions, given the imperfections of living life.

One of my dearest friends was willing to help plan this vacation, and accompany me along with my 4 children. Not exactly a rest filled vacation for someone who works very hard professionally and dedicates her own life to helping others. My friend's generosity and thoughtfulness enabled this trip to happen. She carefully researched and found a quieter family friendly place for us, along the gulf coast which is where I had hoped to be. This place allowed memories to be made and reminded me of the fullness of our life. Precious memories of four girls laughing along the seashore and enjoying the calm surf, of six of us enjoying meals together (even in a "fancier" restaurant in our beach cover ups), of talking the evenings away, of watching my oldest daughter help my youngest to swim, of searching for shells and sand dollars, of catsup being hurled through the air, of watching the sunset, and of spending ordinary time together made extraordinary because of a Christ centered friendship. The trip allowed me to forget the struggle of the past year along and focus and live in the present moment. Soaking in all the gift of each minute, hour, and day.

While my daughters and I were relaxing in Florida, other friends decided to become "elves" and place a new flooring in my condo. Actually, as another dear friend said, they became missionaries. They worked selflessly, after long days at their own workplaces, to place a floor that professionals would be envious of. Gone is the ragged carpeting which had accompanied our condo for the past 10 years. Gone is the buckling. A new beautiful laminate flooring was installed, with such careful detail attended to including caulking and baseboards. All done in a stifling hot condo without working air conditioning. Conditions they would likely never admit to, instead telling stories about how fun it was for three engineers to figure out at what angle to cut a corner or how our kitten curiously helped them with the saw.

As we started for home this morning, I was overwhelmed at how loved my girls and I are by those around us. I am incredibly lucky to have the people here who are in my life. People willing to make sacrifices for us without letting on that they are doing so. Author Paul Wadell writes about spiritual friendships, and says "there are some debts we can never repay" to our friends. I know this is true. This past week has proved it. And I am grateful to experience the love of God working through the love, care, and goodness of some very special friends.











No comments:

Post a Comment